Monday, September 6, 2010

Dates pickle

I've been to my hometown to attend my sister's bro-in-law's wedding & one of the item was dates pickle. I loved the taste! I'm not a fan of dates at all. I've never really liked it even when it was available in plenty in auh. Nor did I develop a taste of it afterwards & I've had dates lying around the house which neither B nor I ever 'remembered' to eat. Thankfully it was in the fridge & hadn't gone bad yet. So what do you think is the first thing I do once I'm back in Blr? Make the date pickle obviously. While at mum's place I found a recipe book which had the recipe for dates pickle. Without wasting any time I got to my work & I must say I liked what I made. Like I said before I'm neither a fan of dates nor or pickles in general. I don't like a lot of spicy food. But THIS dates pickle is more sweet than hot. It can even be had with samosa, kachori etc. Here's the recipe:




Dates Pickle:


500gm dates
2tsp Chilli powder
2bunchs Garlic
2x 1inch pieces Ginger
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 cup gingenelly oil ( I used canola oil)
3/4 cup vinegar
Boiled water cooled(I used 1-1/2cup)
Salt - to taste
1) Remove seed from dates
2) Make a paste of 1 bunch of garlic & 1 piece of ginger
3) Grind together with Chilli powder, cumin & mustard
4) Heat the oil & saute with 1 & 2
5) Slice rest of the garlic & ginger into long thick pieces & add into 4
6)Add vinegar, boiled water that has been cooled & salt & let it all boil
7) Add dates to the above & immediately take off the flame.

Take off the flame & mixed it all up & allow to cool. After cooling store it in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment