Thursday, September 9, 2010

It must be Freekeh!

When I found the recipe for Mujaddara, I believed that was the my mystery dish... but after making it I was convinced that's not it... I've not been blogging coz I took a mini vacation of sorts. The best ppl in the world (well MY world) had come down & the joy of joys being able to spend time with my favourite nephew & niece! While I was there & looking through some of mum's cook books I came across something - Chicken Freekeh. Felt I must check it out & NOW i'm convinced that THIS is my mystery dish. Freekeh explains the 'greenish' thing I couldn't quite figure out... its Freekeh - roasted green wheat!!! yup and its made with chicken, beef or lamb. I was on top of the world to have finally discovered my mystery dish.
U'd think I'd jump at the opportunity, get the ingredients together & cook it... Just one problem though - I'm not able to find Freekeh anywhere in Bangalore. At least not where I've searched. I'm not as yet aware of a place/shop/outlet where one can get Middle eastern food items per se.

I spend a week almost searching the net for some clue as to where I may find these roasted green wheat. C'mon we are after all a wheat producing nation. Could it be that we really don't know about how in some parts of the world they set on fire the wheat when its green itself & use the grain as we use rice?
Freekeh is a very very healthy item to have. I read that its better than the brown rice too. And yet a lot of people are ignorant about this item. I tried making the dish with the normal broken wheat but it didn't turn out to my satisfaction. It is nothing close to what the Lebanese Flower used to make. Sigh... maybe I should go back to Auh & bring some Freekeh with me :-)... ya that's what we call wishful thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment