Monday, October 26, 2015

Fabric bookmark

One morning I was looking around to see what I could do and I saw a book my dear husband had bought and decided to read it. I read a chapter and wanted to close the book for a while and noticed there was no bookmark anywhere around. So what do we do? well you got it we make one!\

I know I could easy cut one out using a chart / handmade paper and embellish it, but we never do the easy thing do we? So I rummaged through my fabric scraps and voila! found a strip just enough to make a bookmark.

That is when I remembered reading about freehand embroidery without any fancy darning foot and I wanted to try it out without ANY foot on. Crazy right? well I lowered the feed dog (that is the teeth like thingy which pushes the fabric under the foot. it moves in a circular or box form.
It is important

to lower the feed dog because to do freehand embroidery, we don't need our fabric being pushed in a uniform manner, what we want is to be able to move the fabric around on our own. Only then will we be able to get the design which we want. My "embroidery" wasn't sure neat, but for first attempt it is passable (I think ;-)).. oh well, one always think one's work is far better than it really is :-).


I also punched a hole and inserted an eyelet and put a golden ribbon through and Voila! my fabric bookmark for my beloved is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment